Carrick Blacker

The Home of the Blackers of Carrick Blacker.

                              This is the home of Carrick Blacker

Welcome to Carrick Blacker

The home of the Blackers of Carrick Blacker Earls of Dublin since 1660 and Hereditary Lord Defenders of Dublin since King Sithric the Third.

This is the website for the Blackers of CarrickBlacker, Woodbrook and York.  As well as providing details of the estates of the Blacker family the website provides unique and vast records and manuscripts held by the Blacker family and made available to those who wish to seek research material for private use.

This is the homepage for the website, don't forget to bookmark this page especially if you are a registered user. Registration is free, fast and painless.  All of the material published here is taken from official and historical records held by the library of the Carrick Blacker estate and where taken from registers held by the parish or an official record is published by kind permission where appropriate. 


This site will eventually contain a fully detailed outline of the family, its history and its future. The website is being updated regularly and blank pages show what is yet to come! 



The history of the Blacker family starts with the first landings at Dublin forming the Viking invasion of Ireland in 941ad; later we look at the English civil war, the industrial revolution, the Irish famine and several other interesting periods in the countries development.

As James Kane outlines the family in his biography: -

KANE, James S. For God and King: the story of the Blackers of Carrickblacker. Lurgan: Ulster Society, 1995. 183pp. Illustrated. Paperback. [`It all began around the year AD 941, when a Danish chieftain by the name of Blacar, sailed up the River Bann with a Viking raiding party. For God and the King brings to the reader a history of Ulster through the adventures of one illustrious family. From that wild Viking raid through the conflicts between natives and settlers, the Blackers of Carrickblacker played their own distinctive role in those major events which shaped Ulster's history...' The story of the Blacker family of County Armagh.

The Irish Grants of this earldom are far and away the earliest cousins of the British grants created by the British monarchy. The British grant has become extinct for the third time since it was absorbed into the crown in late Victorian times. 


The Irish grant is still extant and is entirely valid as a peerage in the traditional form and is one of only six medieval grants still extant today.


The Irish peerages were dealt with under the Act of Union and 28 were preserved as life peerages and were entitled to sit in the House of Lords; the remainder remain valid extant peerages and hold many land parcels and associated property responsibilities. 


Courts leet are still held to settle disputes and are recognised under the 1957 International Recognition and Enforcement Convention signed at New York in that year.


The Irish peers holding the Dublin seat stem from the first creation by King Sithric the Third of Ireland and the first creation was in 944Ad, Blacar MacSithric was the earliest ancestor of the Blackers of Carrick Blacker settling in Ireland for the second time (at York) in 1660.  In 1690, Valentine Blacker was ennobled and confirmed as the Earl of Dublin; under Irish law the descendants of his; both male and female inherit entitlements through baronial law. 


The last inhabitant at Carrick Blacker in Portadown was Stuart Blacker the cousin of the last surviving descendant who now inherits the Earldom. The Earldom was enlarged to include a viscountcy under a settlement with the Cary family who sold their estate under a High Court order following a lengthy land dispute. 


The Viscountcy of Tyrone and the Earldom of Dublin as well as the hereditary protectorate now vest in the 37th Earl of Dublin by Royal Warrant and of course takes practical effect in land law.  The baronies inherited are listed in the biography by James Kane and is available through reputable booksellers. These are detailed in the estate pages later.


The arms and accoutrements are still used today and the arms are shown in thier full form at the top of this page.


Colonel Valentine Blacker raised and formed the Seagoe Infantry which later became the 8th battalion of the Royal Irish Fusiliers; the regiment has been absorbed into the Royal Irish Rangers and latterly The Royal Irish Regiment. In addition strong links exist with the Royal Artillery as Major Blacker (Colonel Blacker’s son) was responsible for forming large sections of the regiment in its formative years. 


Interestingly, Major Stewart Blacker invented amongst other things, the PIAT (Projector Infantry Anti-Tank) which was used throughout the Second World War and has been responsible for two Victoria Crosses being won. Blacker was also the inventor of several other weapons designed to knock out vehicles whilst causing minimal injuries including the Blacker Bombard.  The honorary title of Colonel still resides with the Earl and is granted by both regiments. The regiments first notable engagement was at the battle of the Boyne where the regiment and Colonel Blacker were decorated for the prosecution of attacks against enemies of William the second. In memoriam to this occasion the honorary title of Colonel still vests in the eldest male holding the Christian name William.


Seagoe Parish Church accommodates the Blacker Chancel where the Blacker family and the exploits of the various arms of the family have been commemorated over the centuries. Dublin cathedral has hosted several of the Blacker line as Deans and in other capacities. As Lord Defender of Dublin and as a peer, the Earl conducts courts leet quarterly; these serve to settle formal disputes and receive around a hundred references each term. 


For further details please email for  the court list.  In addition the members section lists official engagements and functions to which Lord Dublin has attendances in the coming weeks.


The family archive is quite huge and extracts from registers or pages from the family's vast library of manuscripts and volumes can be requested free of charge. This site quotes from public material which is verfiable and you can actually talk to someone about this material. Contact the for further details and copy extracts from real documents.  We also provide free archival research from NIFHS and UHS records as well as the family records. 


References: -

Armagh Grand Orange Lodge, "Story of the battle of the Diamond" 1961. Burke's Peergage and Baronetage 1958. Maxwell C,A. A History of the Blackers of Carrick Blacker. "Peep O'Day Boys and Defenders", Public Record Office Northern Ireland, Belfast, 1990, The Family Archive of the Blacker’s of CarrickBlacker, Public Record Office Northern Ireland, Belfast 1988. Riley, David, A History of Seagoe Parish, Pan Books, 1959. Wolsey, W.H., Orangeism in Portadown District, Portadown Times, 1935. William Blackers Manuscripts, Armagh Museum Service, County Armagh, Seagoe Parish Records, Seagoe Parish Church Records, Beswick Papers, Public Record Office papers: - (all begin with a 'T') 1023/4/1 ; 2125/17/8 ; 2595/4 ; 2592/2 ; 2125/17/5 ; 1192/1 ; The following papers begin with a 'D' 959/M52 ; 415 (whole paper) Extracts courtesy of : - Armagh Guardian, Belfast Divisional Newsletter The Royal Orange Order, Newry Telegraph, Portadown Times and Portadown Express, Seagoe Church Magazine. Queen's College Belfast, Northern Ireland Family History Society "A history of the Blacker’s of Carrick Blacker". For God and the King, James S Kane, The Story of the Blacker’s of Carrick Blacker. Edited 14th April 2008. All Rights Reserved. Please see the legal notices. This is by no means an exhaustive reference list and bibliography and authorities are quoted alongside scripts presented on a page by page basis.

All materials provided under registration are given free of charge under a written agreement securing the authors or property rights holders interests. (c) Carrick Blacker House and Estate.